Many ramen restaurants have their own rules and eating etiquette. While a good 99% make a lot of sense, I've stumbled upon some EXTREME and strange rules. Difficult to take seriously, here are 8 strange examples that I have documented through my years of eating in ramen restaurants in Japan:
- You cannot touch your phone
- You cannot talk to anyone other than the chef
- You must drink the broth first. If you eat the noodles first, you will be asked to leave the restaurant
- You should not muddle the soup when you are drinking it
- No children allowed
- You cannot talk about ramen in the shop
- You are not to look around the restaurant
- You cannot ask about the menu
The intention behind these rules (I'm guessing) is that these chefs want you to eat their ramen in the perfect environment and condition. Chefs from regular ramen shops are nice (and normal), so don't worry! However, do be careful when you happen to enter one of these extreme shops and remember to follow their rules, as strange and unreasonable as they may seem.
Did these strange rules scare you off from eating out ramen?
Don't be afraid! With our simple recipes, you can make ramen in the comfort of your own home! Need a nice large bowl to hold all the noodles, soup and toppings? We've got the perfect set for you!