Takoyaki is a popular Japanese snack that originated from Osaka.
These flour-based balls are filled with diced octopus, tempura bits, green onions and red ginger.
Let's take a look at how to make them today! (You will need a takoyaki pan for this)
Ingredients (for 50 takoyakis)
- Flour 220g (1-2/3 cup)
- Water 1100ml
- Konbu-dashi or katsuo-dashi (soup stock) 3tbsp
- Salt 1/3tbsp
- Soy sauce 1tbsp
- 2 eggs
- 2 octopus arms
- Green onion 1/2
- Benishoga (red ginger) - optional
- Tempura bits - optional
- Bonito Flakes
- Mix flour, water, soup stock, salt and soy sauce and eggs togethe
- Pour batter into each hole of the heated pan
- Put a piece of octopus in each hole
- Put the rest of the ingredients (if you want, you can add cheese too)
- Turn each takoyaki using a long stick (ex. sharp chopstick or skewer stick)
- Finally, dish up them and use takoyaki sauce and mayonnaise
Need some nice long dishes to plate up your takoyaki for an authentic Japanese feel? Check out our multi-purpose dish sets.
Each set comes with two plates, two pairs of chopsticks and two sauce dishes! Perfect for a takoyaki date-night for two!
Takoyaki ramen is a type of ramen that has takoyaki as a topping.
It is easy to make since you just need to put takoyaki on top of ramen.
However, personally, I don’t think these two dishes go well together.
In 1985, takoyaki instant ramen was launched by Nissin Foods in Japan.
It got famous since it was an unusual combination,
After 2 years, It was discontinued.
As I said, it is pretty easy to make, so give it a try if you are curious…